[Rack] Syntax highlighting for the NB wiki

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Nov 25 00:42:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:52:59PM -0800, Benny Baumann wrote:
> it would be nice for people on the NB wiki to be able to highlight
> source code in their documentation of their projects. There are several
> possibilities to do this with one of the most common ones being the
> SyntaxHighlight_GeSHi extension for MediaWiki which uses GeSHi as the
> backend highlighting library.
>
> GeSHi itself supports about 180 different languages including C, C++,
> Java, Perl, PHP, Python, HTML, Whitespace, Brainfuck, Erlang, F#, C#,
> and many many more.
>
> The plugin is being in active use by several big pages including the
> Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects as well as many content
> management systems like Joomla and Typo3. Other software known to
> include GeSHi or supporting its use is WordPress, phpBB2&3 and many
> pastebins you see on the web.

I looked into this when it was first suggested.

We're currently on Mediawiki 1.15; that apparently limits us to a
backrev version of GeSHi.  ... really, we should get up to the most
recent stable Mediawiki, but I'll go ahead and do GeSHi anyways.  I'm a
little concerned that the old version may miss security patches and/or
features, but we need to upgrade MW anyways, so it's probably not worth
worrying about too much.

> GeSHi itself is very secure: There have only been 3 CVEs in 5 years,

Uh, apparently you and I have different definitions of "very secure".

-andy