[Rack] static IP request

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue Nov 23 08:45:02 UTC 2010

We are trying to get mchawking the wheelchair robot to have a static IP on
the wireless network.  This is because we want to be able to log into the
thing and drive it around the space, and also just to work on its brains
without actually being at the space.

The hardware is a PC running ubuntu, with a USB wireless device, and since
it's a mobile robot, wired ethernet is not an option.

I don't know a thing about networking, but my friend Mike is making all
that stuff work and I am writing this email on behalf of both of us.

Right now the machine is at 172.30.1.115 but since it's getting DHCP that
is subject to change.  The machine is powered down when i'm not here,
although that is something that will eventually change as the robot grows.

Its MAC address is as follows: 00:E0:4C:00:22:F9

I would like to have a public IP on The Internet, but if this is not
possible, then I would like to set up port forwarding for port 22 for now,
and other ports later.  I am being told that it is difficult to have a
public IP through the wireless network, but I believe there is a solution.

If I am able to get a static IP I would also like to have a DNS entry such
as mchawking.noisebridge.net although i am open to other suggestions.

I am willing to learn if I must to get this to work, but my friend Mike
who I am cc'ing on this email is the pro.  If anyone who is familiar with
the noisebridge network setup is willing to get involved with helping this
robot to live an unsheltered life, I encourange them to step forward.  The
robot is not my personal project, it's something that I hope will be a
platform for many people to participate and experiment and do fun stuff.

inspirational video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJKXFENEDdE

-jake