[Rack] static IP request

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 00:31:30 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 1:51 AM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 12:56 AM, miloh <froggytoad at gmail.com> wrote:
> > For future ref, with service discovery and the proper public key on
> > McHawking you could ssh -A into pony.noisebridge.net then ssh into the
> > McHawking.local machine
>
> Personally, I wouldn't recommend using SSH agent forwarding to pony.
> Considering how many random people have root accounts on there, it's
> possible that someone with a local root account can use your remote
> key for authentication while you're logged in.
>
> Probably not a giant risk, but throwing it out there.
>
> I prefer to use SSH port forwarding and connect through that. An
> example session might go something like:
>
> jof at hostname:~ $ ssh -Nf -L 2222:172.30.0.1:22 pony.noisebridge.net
> jof at hostname:~ $ ssh -p 2222 -o 'StrictHostKeyChecking no' localhost
> jof at 172.30.0.1:~ $

thanks jof,

Jake -- if you want a user account on pony, the process is simple --

1) add your ssh key to your noisebridge wiki user page (
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/User:Jerkey see my page for ref:
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/User:miloh )

2) find someone from the ops group (email the rack list) to create a user
account for you on pony.

-rma