[Rack] Internet is borked

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Sun Oct 24 20:06:59 UTC 2010

Yesterday while in the space people were complaining about the internet
being broken. Nothing was handing out DHCP on the local network, there
were a number of people plugging/unplugging some of the APs with the
idea that if they restart them things would magically work (referring to
the APs as wireless routers, thinking that they also dealt with the
incoming net connection and routing that).

I only had my phone on me, I couldn't get a ping through to r00ter while
connected to one of the APs. I could ping gorilla, after SSHing into it
I could also ping the outside world through the Monkeybrains link.

I power cycled r00ter, still couldn't ping it through its local IP,
figured either the interface was fucked or the switch it was plugged
into was possibly confused. Since gorilla seemed like it was happy, I
started to configure dhcpd on there, started the service up but didn't
get a chance to check if it was actually working as I was running late
for a wedding by that point.

Through out most of this I tried my best to educate some of the folks
panicing about the lack of internet on what I was doing, and asking them
not to simply power cycle things.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net