[Rack] Internet is borked

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Mon Oct 25 20:23:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
>> I would be down for helping with that.
>>
>> Folks should review this page and possibly add in anything else that
>> could help someone with little to no networking knowledge in
>> troubleshooting the issue or providing the rack list with more helpful
>> information...
>>
>> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Network_Troubleshooting
>
> I'll take a look at this today too.
>
> I have the rest of this week off, and I'd like to spend most of it
> doing Noisebridge-improvement projects, so any suggestions as to
> things that need to get done are useful.

I interviewed a few of the people who tried to help troubleshoot the
problem, and came to the following conclusions:

 - A prominent network diagram posted on the server room door, with
pictures of the devices on it, would have completely eliminated all
the incorrect assumptions made when people were attempting to
troubleshoot the problem.

 - An idiot light on top of the server room will reduce repeated
questions about whether the network was having problems and whether it
was fixed yet.

 - A touchpanel plugged into stallion which provides a live network
view would be useful for people who are trying to diagnose whether
their computer or the network is the cause of a performance problem.

 - I need to bring in a dedicated management device capable of
functioning as a console server to log output from the soekris boxes.
I've already provisioned it and I'm going to install it tomorrow if
everything goes well.

 - We need more labels.  I'm going to talk to the guys at the market
about sharing one and keeping it down there, so if the one at
Noisebridge disappears again I can go down there and be sure one will
be available.