[Rack] Fwd: Noisebridge Closed Ports

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Sep 7 07:58:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Iskundar Haddad <dejaepu at gmail.com> wrote:
> on our Sonic.net connection
> when playing online whether just one computer or many,
>  our latency jumps crazily from a playable 40-160 range, up to 400's-1000's
> randomly,
>  regardless of whether anyone is at noisebridge or not

This may be in part due to us using a relatively slow CPU-based
router. This isn't any different than a little Linksys or Netgear box
people run at home, but it might add up to 50 - 100ms of latency at
times of high interrupt or CPU load. I haven't done any real testing
of the latency through Soekrises. I'd imagine it's detectable, but not
that big.

If packets are queued up though, that can cause some latency while
they're waiting in the queue.

I'll try adding a small (20Kbps) priority queue for interactive UDP traffic.

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 12:46 AM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
> Noisebridge's vision is to maintain a space which provides technical
> resources for creative projects.

I totally agree with this view, Rubin. In that spirit, I'm interested
in providing quality resources, regardless of its use. I want internet
connectivity to be a dumb pipe that works equitably for all
applications.

> Playing board games with friends in the
> space, as much as it has nothing to do with creative projects or
> anything all that technical, builds community in the space. LAN parties
> at Noisebridge is pushing that line for me. I would be extremely
> impressed if you could provide to me some good examples on how running a
> Counter Strike server through our connection to the internet would be
> inline with the goals of our space.

I also somewhat agree with this view. Computer games are great fun,
and can be a way to interact with others when there's a physical or
social barrier to doing so. That said, Noisebridge is a place where
there are often other people around that you can interact with, so I
don't really understand the desire to be gaming at Noisebridge during
the day and evenings.

There are some times though when the place is dead and nobody is
around. Playing some online games when you're there alone makes sense
to me in that context.