[Rack] an API for Noisebridge (for America)

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Sun Dec 11 09:36:19 UTC 2011

So Zephyr and I and the other social engineers were talking about having a
consistent web API for realworld stuff at Noisebridge, so we could all hack
on different software tools to use the hardware at the space, without
worrying too much about tying the software together, and so that the
hardware could be changed around without breaking the software too much.

I thought that the recent re-hacking of the gate buzzer was a good
opportunity to try this out. Me and Liz hacked on some code, and there's
now a new virtual host, api.noisebridge.net, whose URIs are handled by a
python program at /var/local/noise_api/api.py

Right now, it only has one magic command, which is if you send a POST to
http://api.noisebridge.net/gate/open the door will be buzzed open. It only
works within the space until we work out some authentication (or maybe just
decide to open it more widely anyway).

Code is at https://github.com/dannyob/noise-api

If you have suggestions for other API calls, reply to this, or take a look
at https://github.com/dannyob/noise-api/blob/master/README.md to deploy
them yourself.

d.