[Rack] monkeybrains internet

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Fri Feb 4 05:47:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
> Andy Isaacson wrote, On 20110203 221825:
>> Is it worth paying for a second IP link for Noisebridge?  If so, is the
>> Monkeybrains offer the one we should go with?  (I'm paying not much more
>> for a very solid 22/7 DOCSIS business class link from Comcast, so there
>> is definitely competition.)
>
> Fuck Comcast for everything.
>
> I think it's worth it for Monkeybrains if they weren't natting us.

Agreed -- I think it's unfortunate that we ended up with a special
NATed configuration. The only times that we've had problems with this
connection has been when Monkeybrains has been doing work on their NAT
box.

For the $/Mbit, it's not bad, but it's not great either. $75/month
seems expensive for what it is.

I've mostly kept the noisebridge network running over Sonic only
because it seems more reliable. Unfortunately, our copper must suck
since we get nowhere near the ~20 Mbit that we should theoretically be
able to get.

As much as I hate the corporate entity behind it, I'd much rather have
a Comcast Business class (totally different BU than the residential
stuff) circuit at 2169.

I think we should pay Monkeybrains for the circuit if we can stop
having crappy NAT (and hopefully a static IP).