[Rack] monkeybrains internet

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Fri Feb 4 10:27:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
>> Andy Isaacson wrote, On 20110203 221825:
>>> Is it worth paying for a second IP link for Noisebridge?  If so, is the
>>> Monkeybrains offer the one we should go with?  (I'm paying not much more
>>> for a very solid 22/7 DOCSIS business class link from Comcast, so there
>>> is definitely competition.)
>>
>> Fuck Comcast for everything.
>>
>> I think it's worth it for Monkeybrains if they weren't natting us.
>
> Agreed -- I think it's unfortunate that we ended up with a special
> NATed configuration. The only times that we've had problems with this
> connection has been when Monkeybrains has been doing work on their NAT
> box.
>
> For the $/Mbit, it's not bad, but it's not great either. $75/month
> seems expensive for what it is.
>
> I've mostly kept the noisebridge network running over Sonic only
> because it seems more reliable. Unfortunately, our copper must suck
> since we get nowhere near the ~20 Mbit that we should theoretically be
> able to get.

16 Mbps theoretical.  The copper isn't very good in SF, so it's about
13-14 Mbps typically.  See the script in my ~ on pony.

We can also trade downstream for upstream and get 8Mbps/2Mbps up using annex M:

  http://sonic.net/support/faq/advanced/annexm.shtml

The TCP downstream goodput on the monkeybrains connection has never
been above 6Mbps according to my tools.