[Rack] monkeybrains internet

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Fri Feb 4 18:28:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 2:27 AM, Dr. Jesus <j at hug.gs> wrote:

> 16 Mbps theoretical.  The copper isn't very good in SF, so it's about
> 13-14 Mbps typically.  See the script in my ~ on pony.

Well, since we do have Annex M extensions turned on, you're right. However,
I don't think I've ever seen near this level of line utilization on
Sonic.net. I have munin setup on pony at 2169 that polls SNMP on the Soekris
facing Sonic.net. Check out
http://pony.noisebridge.net/munin/noisebridge.net/172.30.0.1/snmp_172_30_0_1_if_1.htmlsometime
you're in the space (or modify /etc/apache/conf.d/munin to allow
yourself).

We've sometimes spiked to 10 Mbit down, but it usually hovers around 4 -
6Mbit down.

The TCP downstream goodput on the monkeybrains connection has never
> been above 6Mbps according to my tools.

That's been my experience too. I've been getting much better speeds over
Monkeybrains from home, and that's to a site that isn't even backhauled over
fiber. That makes me wonder how much of that differential is due to NAT
craziness.

IMO -- if Comcast can deliver a better circuit for the same money they
should get some of our business.