[Rack] I humbly request the creation of a new "Consensus" mailing list.

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Sun Feb 13 01:10:12 UTC 2011

On 02/12/2011 12:17 PM, Patrick Keys wrote:
> Jacob,
> With all due respect, after seeking clarification about 5 times at the
> consensus discussion meeting... you are wrong.
>
> Apparently, as it was explained to me by Shannon, Rachel, and Jim, every
> person at Noisebridge can participate in the consensus process, whether
> that person is a member or not.  The only thing you gain by membership
> is the ability to block an item up for consensus.

No disrespect taken but I believe you misunderstand the finer points of
this issue.

Your point about blockage is a key point for non-members but not the
only key point. As a non-member, you're welcome at meetings and you can
say whatever you'd like but you are *limited* in your *impact* compared
to a Member and this is by design. There is actually a legal difference
between "capital M" Members and "members" in 501c3 legalese.

So yes, you can show up to a consensus meeting and talk to your hearts
content. However, if you are not a "capital M" Member, you do not have
legal power in the organization to refill or remove members of the
board, you do not have the ability to block something you *really*
firmly stand against, you can't bring a topic for consensus and pass it
if no Member is around, etc, etc, etc.

There is no question that we try to have every voice heard but that does
not mean that a non-member's voice actually has the same formal legal
power in the same sense as a Member.

All the best,
Jake