[Rack] [Noisebridge-discuss] door button failing

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 22:03:29 UTC 2011

Forwarding this to Rack.    I'm filtering most of discuss to trash.

> So lets just fix the button somehow.

It sounds like jake's problem was with the downstairs doorbell button,
but I want to note that the gate electric strike has been running very
silently from time to time.   Anyone else notice this? I could barely
hear it one time last week, and a few days later it was loud as ever.
The result is more button presses and open cycles, which will  wear it
out more...

> also, I tried hacking in and discovered that some of the methods listed on
> the wiki page don't work - like the IP address where you log in as
> user/live just isn't there (supposed to be at 172.30.0.31)

If you want to open the door from using cellular network access to the
internet, you will need an account on pony.  But then you will just
want to ssh in from your external network and run 'opengate' on pony.

The wiki instructions were written to give folks access to
troubleshoot and build more onto the system, not for just opening the
door.  I'll take a look at them when there's time to.

The door system (a wyse thinclient that can't run X very well, hence
the broken *looking* touchpanel screen) works fine:
miloh at persimmon:~$ ssh rmiloh at pony.noisebridge.net
Last login: Mon Feb 21 13:51:44 2011 from xx.xx.xx.xx.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net
Linux pony 2.6.32-5-686 #1 SMP Fri Dec 10 16:12:40 UTC 2010 i686
pony% ssh user at 172.30.0.31
user at 172.30.0.31's password: live
Linux debian 2.6.26-2-486 #1 Thu Nov 25 01:49:20 UTC 2010 i586

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Mon Feb 21 21:51:54 2011 from pony.noise
user at debian:~$ hi!