[Rack] Rack Digest, Vol 13, Issue 16

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Fri Feb 25 23:21:52 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 3:16 PM, miloh <froggytoad at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'll admin a NetApp SAN.  It would be useful to consolidate the video
>>> archives for SmoF and other media recorded at Noisebridge on (if we
>>> can ever get the drive bays populated).   Does anyone connected with
>>> AMT perhaps want the second?
>>
>> These things eat energy like a t-rex at a hamburger factory.
>>

> Thanks Dr. J, I didn't think of that.  As far as I'm considered,  I'll
> pass on the SAN's...

I think John's right though, keeping them around to talk to FC disks
every now and then might not be so crazy.

> Dr. J --
> Do you think NFS and 4-disk raid 6 array with a power saving head will
> be a better solution?

Do you want the array on all the time?  How much video is it?

> -rma
>
> ps. Where does Andre the Giant rack go?

I'll have to look at it, but I'm sick right now.  Maybe next week.
The usual thing that happens is you play the slot A/tab B game for a
while trying to find the right cables to hook your stuff up to the
PDUs in the rack, which somehow never seem to be the right kind.
Until we have the electrical part sorted out it might be premature to
talk about where the cabinet will live.