[Rack] possibility of tenants in the new rack

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Sun Mar 6 06:38:23 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 8:38 PM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

> my responses interspersed below:
>
> On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 16:23 -0800, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 11:28 AM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >    i'm writing to the rack list to see if there's real
>> > interest or objections or contributions to the idea of
>> > setting up the new rack and getting some tenant computers
>> > in it.
>>
>> I kind of agree with Rubin and Andy on this topic. I think it's not a
>> good idea to offer this as a service inside of 2169,
> JS: the proposal is not asking for any service. just the use of
> some space and electrical power.
>
>> however I think
>> it would be a most *excellent* idea to form a purchasing collective
>> for some colocation space and bandwidth in a facility that's geared
>> towards offering that.
> JS: i'm up for it if we can find something that is
> * very low cost
> * easy access
> * reasonably high speed bandwidth
> (note no particular fussiness about cooling or
> security or managed services or other, rather a
> wish for a homebrewed do-ocratic-style approach
> to most everything).
>
>> On your point about having a place for people to practice: I think
>> this would be a most excellent use of space and power, provided that
>> the use of the equipment is temporary and transient while people are
>> using it. If a learner/student is interesting in setting up an entire
>> system or stack of hosts, the Noisecloud resource that Dr. J has would
>> be a much better place to test those things out.
> JS: there are a couple of machines in a mini-rack in the
> turing classroom. Dr. J's noisecloud resource sounds
> attractive: is it working, accessible, got docs for
> users? if not, wanna help me develop some?

It works fine.  It's not publicly documented and probably will never
be.  The reason why is that the scale of the operation makes it
possible to use Noisecloud to spend a lot of money really fast
(thousands of dollars per day).  Since it's possible to do that by
accident if you have direct access to the cloud controllers, access is
currently limited to the IRC-based self serve system.  Anyone who
wants to use it can talk to me to get the tutorial and secret sauce
required to use the output from the IRC robot.  Direct access to the
cloud controllers requires signing a NDA and a contract because the
generous donors paying for all the hosting don't want certain things
about it becoming public for some very good reasons.