[Rack] possibility of tenants in the new rack

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sun Mar 6 08:08:30 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 11:02 PM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:
> JS: it seems there's some significant drift among
> some of us and our various extended circles toward
> getting a rack somewhere that we can share. i'm
> for it, in general.
>    i really like the idea that it's at noisebridge
> so i can just waddle from whatever i'm doing in the
> space to the rack, if need be.
>    it's not so bad if a shared rack is nearby, say
> downstairs or a block away. not as good, but not so
> bad.
>    i could get prices from the likes of telx and
> quest and other such in SF, but i'd rather work on
> getting something more homebrew and very local.

Personally, I'd recommend against TelX and 200 Paul in general. I've
found the quality of their facilities sub-par and mostly as-expensive
as other providers.
They filed an S1 about a year ago, and they've been trying to keep
their revenues on the up and up quarter by quarter. For example,
they've started charging a recurring monthly rate for x-connects
whereas they haven't before.
Just generally shafty, in my experience.

I'm curious to know more about why physical access is important for
you. In this day and age of serial consoles, IPMI BMCs, and lights out
boards, what is the need to access a physical server unless it's to
replace failing hardware?

In the city proper, I'd recommend checking out Monkeybrains, Cernio,
GNI/365 Main, and ServePath/GoGrid.

I'd contact these folks directly and start asking, but I'm not sure
what level of interest there is. Personally, I'm interested in 1U, 1
Amp, and ~1 Mbit/s of average sustained bandwidth.

Cheers,
jof