[Rack] [Noisebridge-discuss] Rack

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Tue Mar 1 18:45:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Dr. Jesus <j at hug.gs> wrote:
>> It's fine for a hobby rack at the price.  Any kind of commercial
>> circuit is going to be ridiculously expensive to install.  The only
>> fibre running outside our building is SFMTA owned and anything else is
>> going to require $$$.
>
> This is the truth. At some point, it quickly becomes a lot cheaper to
> get a rack and transit from a bargain colo/ISP shop here in the Bay
> Area.

Jim didn't mention it, but part of what he's trying to do is to
provide physical access to the rack for training purposes.  There's
something about being able to see a racked machine which has
educational value, especially for the PC hardware skills they don't
teach in school.  His educational group already has rack space
elsewhere, but it comes with some strings attached which prevent the
group from easily touching the gear.