[Rack] possibility of tenants in the new rack

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Sat Mar 5 21:15:33 UTC 2011

When Andy and I setup pony for the first time, Andy made a lot of noise
about how he wished for Noisebridge not to turn into a place that hosts
servers. At that point all I cared about was getting drunk and
installing Linux onto something new.

At this point I've become generally opposed to the idea of bringing in
more dedicated servers into the space, creating a situation for stake
holders to take ownership, liability, maintenance, etc. Basically more
noise (materially and meta) in the space. The ops@ alias was a good
example on how all that went very wrong.

But, at the same time man it would be fun to rev up a U1 for the first
time and call it my own.

My questions at this point would be...

* Worth while: Would it be just as cheap to rent a rack somewhere else
near by and then get a 1 - 2 hop link there from Noisebridge?
* Grand Poobah: Who's going to own deal with all this crap and who's
going to watch the watcher?
* Money: Who's going to deal with this and how is would
collecting/spending work with the space, would we go through consensus?
* Noise level: How can we make Noisebridge not a noisier space with this
rack?
* Security: As much as you'd like to say "determine some means for
protecting the tenant computers from in-the-space hacking", as we've
learned in the past Noisebridge offers no security in the space for
personal items, nor can things really remain as personal items if you
leave them untended in the space. How would you go about creating
security when security really cannot exist?

Saying all that, I'd also be fairly happy if all the dedicated servers
in the space moved to a local colo and the only gear we kept at
Noisebridge was simply networking hardware and some dummy embedded
machines to run the jukebox and touch screens, music and content can
come from the colo. I do understand the benefits of keeping machines in
the space for educational use and sand-boxing, and I'd have fun leaving
a Shuttle machine with a 2TB drive sitting on my shelf running for my
own gags and what not, but I don't think Noisebridge should jump into
the hardware hosting business.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net