[Rack] possibility of tenants in the new rack

jim jim at well.com
Sun Mar 6 04:38:40 UTC 2011

my responses interspersed below:

On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 16:23 -0800, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 11:28 AM, jim <jim at systemateka.com> wrote:
> >
> >    i'm writing to the rack list to see if there's real
> > interest or objections or contributions to the idea of
> > setting up the new rack and getting some tenant computers
> > in it.
>
> I kind of agree with Rubin and Andy on this topic. I think it's not a
> good idea to offer this as a service inside of 2169,
JS: the proposal is not asking for any service. just the use of
some space and electrical power.

> however I think
> it would be a most *excellent* idea to form a purchasing collective
> for some colocation space and bandwidth in a facility that's geared
> towards offering that.
JS: i'm up for it if we can find something that is
* very low cost
* easy access
* reasonably high speed bandwidth
(note no particular fussiness about cooling or
security or managed services or other, rather a
wish for a homebrewed do-ocratic-style approach
to most everything).

> On your point about having a place for people to practice: I think
> this would be a most excellent use of space and power, provided that
> the use of the equipment is temporary and transient while people are
> using it. If a learner/student is interesting in setting up an entire
> system or stack of hosts, the Noisecloud resource that Dr. J has would
> be a much better place to test those things out.
JS: there are a couple of machines in a mini-rack in the
turing classroom. Dr. J's noisecloud resource sounds
attractive: is it working, accessible, got docs for
users? if not, wanna help me develop some?

> By learning the basics of what systems need to be setup and applying
> that knowledge through a provisioning script or configuration
> management tool, it should be possible to spin up an entire stack of
> hosts in a modest amount of time.
JS: i'd be interested in seeing such a script, maybe
documenting it with "meta-info" that describes what's
needed to implement such a script in general for other
sites.

> Rubin summed up a lot of what I think are the salient points, however
> I'd also like to proffer that we'd get incredibly shafty prices on
> electrical power and bandwidth as compared to a proper colocation
> facility.
JS: overall my proposal still seems a very good deal for
the tenants.

> Along these same lines though, I've been wanting to get a proper
> colocated 1U host setup for some time now. I'd be happy to help
> administer, coordinate, and organize a cooperative to go in on a group
> purchase of some space, power, and bandwidth.
> Jim, Rubin -- It sounded like you were both interested in getting
> something personal set up. Know anyone else? What kind of space could
> we be looking for? Quarter rack? Half rack?
JS: i certainly want to see if we could find such a space.
i believe i could populate close to half a rack with the
people i know.
    i'm not stuck on setting up at noisebridge, though
there is that rack, just sitting there, and some people
willing to put in time and money to launch in a cooperative
manner.
    for me, i'm very interested in low cost and physical
access. one appealing element of my proposal is that i
wouldn't have to leave noisebridge to get to my boxes--
i like that a lot.