[Rack] Cisco APs

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Wed Mar 16 07:06:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
> Just wanted everyone to know that the Cisco 1200 AP is now working on the
> robot, and thanks to everyone who helped make it possible.
>
> There was a problem with it getting enough power because the wheelchair did
> not have a 48 volt supply, and it kept browning out.  The solution I used
> was to tap into its internal 3.3v and 5.0v power busses, and i wired them
> directly to the ATX connector on the PC motherboard.  It uses an M3-ATX
> power supply which regulates the wheelchair batteries' voltage.

Wow. That is pretty hardcore right there. The 48v just gets dropped
down anyway, so this makes plenty of sense. It's probably more
efficient too.
Maybe a cool mod would be to add some screw terminals into the case of
the AP? I'd be down to help with some of that action.

> Right now the Cisco is the robots only AP, although we keep the USB stick
> around just in case...

Good plan. Maybe the robot will drive into the elevator and leave the
space? If should still be able to scan around and connect to open WiFi
networks :p

> Thanks Jof and Jesus and ?...
>
> My next trick will be to allow the robot to put its computer into "Suspend"
> mode and enable Wake-On-Lan so that it can be woken up simply by sending it
> network traffic... since the Cisco will stay on all the time.

Totally awesome. Since the AP is just acting as a bridge, it's
probably possible to have to forward "magic" WOL packets.

Continue to hack the planet.

Cheers,
jof