[Rack] Markdown on the Wiki

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Wed Mar 30 01:03:20 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Robert Fletcher <lobatifricha at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suppose it's an off chance, but would it be possible for someone to
> install a mediawiki plugin on the Noisebridge wiki to allow markdown
> syntax?  I've been doing my classnotes in markdown locally and it would be
> pretty awesome to just past it into the wiki.  There are a couple of plugins
> out there:
>
> I like this one better, but it also looks a bit outdated:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AlternateSyntaxParser
>
> And then there's this one, which looks like it converts the markdown to
> valid wiki syntax:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MarkdownSyntax

Hey Robert,

It's funny that you should bring this up, as I work with a lot of
Rubyists and I recently setup an internal Mediawiki instance for work
and migrated from Gitit (which uses markdown internally for markup).
I ended up converting everything from markdown to mediawiki syntax
with Pandoc, but some users still wanted to use markdown.

The MarkdownSyntax plugin works well, but it's all-or-nothing, so I
think that installing it would come as a bit of a shock to regular
wiki editors.

I had some trouble getting the AlternateSyntaxParser one to work with
modern versions of MediaWiki, though it does seem like the right thing
to do since it lets you mix syntaxes within your wiki.

Personally, I'd just recommend hooking your markdown notes through
Pandoc to convert back and forth between forms. It'll accomplish what
you want (albeit, with a bit of local work to hook into your browser)
without affecting other users.

Cheers,
jof