[Rack] new op on pony

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Nov 1 22:18:45 UTC 2011

Welcome Steffan! (hoping your on rack@) Hack the planet.

> Last Sunday he helped me worked out a possible reason why the opengate
> script on pony isn't working to communicate with 172.30.0.31 (the
> strike-controlling panel): the sshpass utility's -fnq settings are breaking
> the opengate script, perhaps due to pony's recent upgrade.  I took out the
> -fnq options in a personal copy of the script (called bacngate ) and it keys
> for me again.

Funky. SSH's "-f" is supposed to background the process just before it
starts a channel or executes a command-to-channel mapping.
However, this seems to interfere with sshpass somehow. I suspect that
when sshpass goes to exec ssh itself, it hooks into its stdin and
stdout descriptors to provide the password, and that somehow this is
failing with the -f backgrounding option.
-n and -q will likely still be wanted in order to keep the minimal
script output.

Glad to hear this is working again!
Perhaps a way to improve this would be to have a daemon that runs on
the gate-opening machine itself, and that accepts a command over a
socket.
Some way of formalizing the "please open the gate now, but don't buzz
forever" command would go a long way to making these scripts cleaner
and enabling other applications to hook into the gate.
Just a thought.

Cheers,
jof