[Rack] New AP network?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Oct 11 22:27:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
> Someone at Noisebridge a while ago was talking about setting up a simple
> delay for any of the low quality networks (2.4gHz) before initiating
> with a new client, so that the higher quality networks (5gHz) have a
> chance to pick up that particular machine.

A delay in...? I suppose if you delayed the response to association
requests, you could eventually get multi-band clients to time-out and
try over 5 Ghz. However, this would probably be more annoying than
useful.

It's nice to try and do this with one SSID, but I think the most
portable and flexible way to handle this problem is to just have a
"noisebridge" SSID, and a "noisebridge-a" one.
We're mostly all technically skilled, and if you care about 5 Ghz
connectivity, you can choose that.

> My setup at home is the Loco M5 and Loco M2 next to each other, works
> great but I've never had more than 5 devices on it at once.

I did this recently for a medium-sized conference party and had about
200 clients max being served off of 2x each of M2's and M5's.

> Mmmm, that's something to talk about. I don't think we need more than 2
> APs for each frequency range in the space, and they should be at
> opposite ends of the space, but at the same time I really like having at
> least 1 AP on the wall-o-tubes.

Agreed. I think if we can get some physically-separate APs, with the
TX power turned down somewhat, on different channels that we can
balance clients by their approximate physical position.

--j