[Rack] Aerohive AP

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Oct 13 16:38:16 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:22 AM, Dan Cote <terminationshok at gmail.com> wrote:
> I found this really nice AP that is "cloud managed" on the hack rack. I
> imagine it's there to be unclouded, so I'm going to attempt to remove the
> cloud management and add local management if necessary. I'm really just
> wondering if it was really intended to be put on the hack rack and hacked.

I'm not sure of the provenance of that particular piece of hardware. I
there there is that and some other wireless gear that really ought to
be set aside for more practical use than building giant robots (my
opinion, though I've taken no physical action yet).

Aerohive's pitch isn't so much "cloud" managed APs, as it is consensus
based. Stand-alone APs cluster themselves together and replicate
configuration so that they become like clustered controllers and APs
all in one.

I believe (though am not certain) that the underlying OS is just
Linux. If you wanted to try and make that thing useful on its own, by
all means go ahead. It appears like some nice hardware -- 3x each of
2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz antennas and presumably dual radios as well.

Cheers,
jof