[Rack] Cable Trays?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Oct 25 06:40:52 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Michael Shields <shields at msrl.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm interested in getting more, better Ethernet drops around 2169. I
>> was thinking of just expanding upon the existing "wrap some 12-gauge
>> copper on some electrical conduit" system, but Ben K. mentioned that
>> he and Shannon were thinking about trying to get some cable trays up.
>
> Please don't wrap things around conduit.  It makes people who have worked in
> data centers cry.  Cable goes *in* conduit, not *on* conduit.
> I can help with this.

Agreed. I've worked in data centers too, and this is ghetto as all
heck. However, we're dealing with less than 100 cables (max, more like
<50).
This system came about because it was cheap and easy to throw up
against what stuff was already existing.

If you're interested in helping and making Noisebridge an awesome
place to experiment with different infrastructures, by all means,
let's brainstorm together and come up with a plan for bringing proper
cable management about.

We've got some wire tray now, I think we'll just need to raise a
little bit of cash for more tray and mounting hardware, and then we'll
have to have a build day or days and get everything setup.

Cheers,
jof