[Rack] Power / Stallion Replacement

Ben Kochie ben at nerp.net
Sat Sep 17 03:36:18 UTC 2011

I did some power testing in the rack today.

Stallion (2x Xeon 3.4GHz, 3GB ram, ~271 GiB SCSI disk raid) is using about
300W.  I figure the pony machine is about 150-200 (I need to power it down
to test).  The rest of the stuff fills out the rest to total the rack
power at around 650 Watts.

This is contributing to about 450kWh/month in power (~$100)  This means
that stallion is using about $50/month in power.  The tahoe node machine
has something like 6G of ram and 6T of disk.  We could easily run stallion
and pony on it as VMs and cut the rack power in half.  Or we could just
replace stallion with that machine and still save $25/month in power.

-ben

  "UNIX is user-friendly, it's just picky about its friends."