[Rack] Reformat Tahoe Node

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Thu Sep 29 17:49:53 UTC 2011

On 09/29/2011 10:10 AM, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Ben Kochie<ben at nerp.net>  wrote:
>> I'd like to reformat the Tahoe node in preparations to merge the parts of
>> that machine with Pony.  Is there anything on the machine that I need to
>> save?
>>
>> My plan to keep the power use in the rack to a minimum involves keeping us
>> down to one reasonably powerful box.  My plan is to setup a minimal
>> virtual machine OS and then copy Pony into a VM.  We can also have a Tahoe
>> node VM.
>>
>> I'll be moving the 8GB of ram and 6T of disk over to the VM server.  I'll
>> possibly move the 2G of ram and one of the disks out of Pony and make it
>> into a decent desktop PC for people use instead of that crappy old shuttle
>> box.
>
> Admittedly, I didn't setup that Tahoe node, though I've powered it up
> once to poke around (long time ago -- months).
>
> I think it's just setup with the software, ready to add to a public
> grid or as a Noisebridge-private storage node.
>
> What I *don't* know is whether or not there is any data on there that
> should be saved.
> I seem to remember Leif knowing more about it's pedigree. I'll CC him on this.
>
> Cheers,
> jof

Yep, there is nothing I know of that we need to keep on there, reformat
away.

The little bit of Tahoe data on it is just from me fooling around. I'll
setup that Tahoe VM when you're ready, and will try to make it something
people might actually use this time (eg, setup a FUSE mount of its SFTP
frontend).

What kind of virtualization are you going to use?

Thanks for taking care of this, Ben!

~leif