[Rack] Reformat Tahoe Node

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Sep 29 19:29:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 09:19:36AM -0700, Ben Kochie wrote:
> I'd like to reformat the Tahoe node in preparations to merge the parts of
> that machine with Pony.  Is there anything on the machine that I need to
> save?

AFAIK, no -- tahoe01 was still in testing and has no important data.

> My plan to keep the power use in the rack to a minimum involves keeping us
> down to one reasonably powerful box.  My plan is to setup a minimal
> virtual machine OS and then copy Pony into a VM.  We can also have a Tahoe
> node VM.

I was hoping that the tahoe node would have its own spindles rather than
sharing with other stuff. :(  The use case for Tahoe storage is very
different from generic VM storage.

I'm not a big fan of having a humongous VM server at 2169, but hey,
whatever floats your boat.

> I'll be moving the 8GB of ram and 6T of disk over to the VM server.  I'll

tahoe certainly doesn't need that much power!  2GB RAM and 2 spindles is
plenty.

-andy