[Rack] Reformat Tahoe Node

Ben Kochie ben at nerp.net
Thu Sep 29 19:42:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011, Andy Isaacson wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 09:19:36AM -0700, Ben Kochie wrote:
>> I'd like to reformat the Tahoe node in preparations to merge the parts of
>> that machine with Pony.  Is there anything on the machine that I need to
>> save?
>
> AFAIK, no -- tahoe01 was still in testing and has no important data.
>
>> My plan to keep the power use in the rack to a minimum involves keeping us
>> down to one reasonably powerful box.  My plan is to setup a minimal
>> virtual machine OS and then copy Pony into a VM.  We can also have a Tahoe
>> node VM.
>
> I was hoping that the tahoe node would have its own spindles rather than
> sharing with other stuff. :(  The use case for Tahoe storage is very
> different from generic VM storage.
>
> I'm not a big fan of having a humongous VM server at 2169, but hey,
> whatever floats your boat.

I know, but the reduced power goal for NB is my top priority.  Every 100W
of continuous use is about 875kwh/year (73/month) @ $0.18 ~=
$160/year ($13/month)

Getting rid of the 300W that stallion was using will help a ton, and I'd
rather get VMs or colo'd machines outside of NB.  It's just not a good
space for doing servers.

>> I'll be moving the 8GB of ram and 6T of disk over to the VM server.  I'll
>
> tahoe certainly doesn't need that much power!  2GB RAM and 2 spindles is
> plenty.
Yes, I'll be making sure that performance doesn't suck.