[Rack] [Noisebridge-discuss] Internet down.

Ben Kochie ben at nerp.net
Thu Aug 23 22:14:08 UTC 2012

> Jonathan Lassoff wrote, On 2012-08-23 14:36:
>> We are, and its hella hacky. 9/10 connections outbound take
>> Monkeybrains and 1/10 take Sonic.net. This is just for client NAT
>> paths. Pony and minotaur to the internet are direct via Sonic only
>> (static IPs are there).
>
> How hard would it be to simply write something to deal with fail
> over/fall back? I think load balancing at this point is silly, but
> having a connect fail over when shit breaks, and have it do it
> seamlessly would be useful.

It already does this.  There is a built-in ping system in the load
balancing and failover.  If this is not working there is a bug in the
config that needs to be fixed.

Last time we had issues it's been the DHCP address handout that seemed to
be the problem, not the link failover.

> Simply something like ping MB gateway, if the ping fails 80% of the
> time over 2 minutes, fall back to Sonic. Try again after 5 minutes.

I can easily just turn off the TCP load balancing and send all traffic
over monkeybrains and only failover to sonic if the monkeybrains ping
monitor fails.

The Vyatta configuration is backed up automatically to minotaur by a cron
job.  See /var/backups/bikeshed.noise/