[Rack] Tor security in Noisebridge

James Sundquist sundquistjames at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 03:23:33 UTC 2012

Hey everyone,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this!  My first questions are:

How easy is it to gain administrative access to Noisetor?How do you
guarantee Noisetor is not modifying, monitoring, or recording traffic?
 Trust is good, but I'd like to learn more specifics.
  This guy here[3] and here[4] mention simply using a tor node and
tshark or just a proxy to capture tons of information immediately.
How would you prevent someone from doing this?
How is the project managed?  Is there extensive documentation
somewhere of how Noisetor has been configured and maintained?  I found
some information that Andy posted in January 2012 [1], but couldn't
find anything else in the Noisetor mailing list archive.

What first got me thinking about this was an 07/2012 article from
BoingBoing[2] about a fake certificate used to spy on a resident of
Jordan.  It looks like the company, Cyberoam, used the same SSL
certificates in multiple services.  The light traffic on the tor
mailing list and general chaos of the 'bridge make me curious of
whether the online services are treated in a similar manner.  Thanks
for the info!

[1] https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/tor/2012-January/000127.html
[3]http://security.blogoverflow.com/2012/04/tor-exploiting-the-weakest-link/
[4]http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/910