[Rack] antenna

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sun Jun 10 00:16:28 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM, miloh <froggytoad at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi  folks.
>
> I'm installing on the antenna mast *right now* and I need a few things.

Awesome! Need a hand?

> Q:  Is the cat5e appropriate for the outside?  if not, Does anyone have
> enough of the appropriate cable to spare?

Sure, it's electrically appropriate for the outside, but the outer
sheath/insulation should be UV-hard.

PE is no good, ABS or rubber are great. That said, anything will work
for a while, but the Sun and the elements will eat it away over time.

> Q:  Where are the rj45 termination blocks at?  4 years ago we had a box of
> them!  Now I only see a few of them up on the walls.

There's a box somewhere buried in Penisland / the closet last I saw them.
Not sure if there are any male connectors, but there was plenty of
110-block female termination points. Keystone jacks.

These with little patch cables work fine.

> Q:  Anything else I should know about adding a 5ghz 25dbi nanobridge to the
> antenna mast on the roof?  What's the polarization pattern I have to match?

Depends on the AP you're trying to hit. Go for vertical and test, IMO.

--j