[Rack] New List Request.

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Tue May 8 18:49:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 11:43:26AM -0700, Matt Joyce wrote:
> I would like to create a moderated list with a default quarantine that
> I control called... "hacks"
>
> The purpose of this list would be to enforce a strict policy.  All
> posts to that list would be required to contain links to documentation
> of new hacks, or appreciable progress on new longer term hacks.
>
> The point of the list is to use hacks as a means of reducing traffic
> solely to people who are engaged currently in the hackerly pursuits.

I like the idea of a list for hacking stuff at Noisebridge.  The
original idea was -discuss would be that, but obviously it's failed at
being so.  (And maybe that's not a bad thing, the community probably
needs somewhere to vent and chat.)

Moderated could work, but is a lot of work.  As an alternative:

How about a list charter that says what it's for, allow unmoderated
posting by subscribers by default, and set the moderated flag for
subscribers who fail to play by the rules.

Either way is fine by me.  If you go for moderated I'd strongly
recommend having 2-4 deputies who all agree on the rules of the road,
so that approvals aren't gated on one person's sleep/work schedule.

-andy