[Rack] robot IP address still not working

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue May 1 22:41:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
> i will personally escort the vyatta box off the premises if you can describe
> it well enough for me to locate it.  you might as well start setting up the
> bsd router now because i will eventually find and do-ocratically remove the
> vyatta thing.
>
> port forwarding won't bbe enough for several reasons.  one is that this is a
> development machine, meaning that the whole POINT is for users to be able to
> open any kind of connection they want, any time, in either direction.  NOT
> spend all night trying to get port forwarding to work on a new service.  and
> i dont want to have to create a new login on pony for every user of the
> robot.  it is its own machine on the internet.  its connections should not
> be mediated by another machine like pony.

Perhaps we should sit down and go over how SSH works. All of this is
possible with just inbound SSH. It can be used to multiplex just about
any kind of stream-oriented flow of information, be that a
shell/terminal or a TCP connection. Noone would need new users or
anything else -- the SSH Authentication channel would land on the
robot, not the intermediary host.

> ben doesn't even respond to this issue anymore.  please just go ahead and
> reinstate the bsd router.

I'd rather set up port forwarding if that will actually work. It's a
lot less invasive.
Finding a convenient time when noone in the space will be bothered by
the 'tubes going dark is hard nowadays.

--j