[Rack] Wireless network acting funky

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu May 17 16:11:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 08:26:47PM -0700, William Sargent wrote:
> I'm getting network drops, lags, reassignment of IP addresses that
> someone else already has... and I'm not the only one noticing this.
> Jesse complained that he couldn't keep an SSH connection up.
>
> Anything I can do to help diagnose the problem?  I have Wireshark, but
> it's been a while since I went spelunking in a network myself.

I was in the space using noisebridge-a from 8PM - 10PM and it was
working fine.

Definitely do post which SSID, channel, and AP MAC you are associated
with when problems occur.  If there's a DHCP weirdness, then a pcap of
the odd behavior is incredibly helpful.

It can also be useful to install mtr-tiny (the curses, not the gui,
version) and see if it tells you where problems occur.  (I like to hit
'd' twice to change to latency-display mode.)

-andy