[Rack] noisebridge.net sloooow

Ben Kochie ben at nerp.net
Wed Feb 20 00:06:27 UTC 2013

Ok, here's what I've done so far.

I've added memory cgroup support to most of the init scripts that matter.

There's now a script for checking memory use by process tree:
get-cgroup-memory-use.sh

11216 KiB - /cgroup/bind9/memory.usage_in_bytes
680 KiB - /cgroup/clamsmtp/memory.usage_in_bytes
4252 KiB - /cgroup/posfix/memory.usage_in_bytes
69432 KiB - /cgroup/mysql/memory.usage_in_bytes
80396 KiB - /cgroup/mailman/memory.usage_in_bytes
175448 KiB - /cgroup/clamav-daemon/memory.usage_in_bytes
51168 KiB - /cgroup/apache2/memory.usage_in_bytes

The last one output by teh script is the system total.
1048708 KiB - /cgroup/memory.usage_in_bytes

I've manually set a memory limit for apache2 to 500MB

This in theory should catch apache2 going over memory limits.  We can
improve the memory cgroup settings in the future.

The one difficult thing is this, this does not work well for upstart jobs
since the scripting for upstart is crappy.

-ben