[Rack] [RACK WISHLIST] Ongoing thread to add to ( + )...

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sun Jul 7 19:18:51 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 11:53 AM, maestro <maestro415 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Begin:
> New Rack Wishlist for hardware, software, cables, connectors,
> accessories, widgets, toys and everything and anything needed to
> upgrade, enhance, secure, and maintain 'the racks' in excellent
> ways...
>
> This will be a thread that can be continuously added to and it will be
> most excellent if an item is received and used on the Wishlist that
> someone delete it. One of multiple ways to do this is paste the last
> updated Wishlist with the item removed and a note to the thread e.g.
> [Ammending Wishlist]

> RACK WISHLIST
>
> + working ethernet cables 100ft. and longer that can reach
> Church/Turing(needs replacing)/Treehouse and the other end of the
> space

We have a spool of Cat5e somewhere just for this purpose. Distribution
ports should be landed in Susan the rack, or if they are few in number
as a well-bundled, non-messy cable to the GigE/PoE switch in the upper
rack.

> + modern 'racks' that are much more power efficient

To what are you referring to? The "racks" draw 0 power.
That's the idea of the upper rack: minimal equipment needed to keep
internets functional, using minimal power. Susan the Rack is being
slowly deprecated.

> + hardware tech's full tool kit (with redundancy on as many tools as possible)

What would this include? All I've ever found myself to need are some
screwdrivers (in the toolchest), a cable crimper (in the reserved
cables/connector box in the "Penisland" closet)

> + proper hardware cleaning kit(s)

What would this entail?

> + external storage device(s) for back-ups and archives

We have boodes of "Miloh enclosures" in the elevator vestibule. Just add disk.