[Rack] Electric door strike working again. Use your Pin or key to get in.

Jake jake at spaz.org
Mon Jul 15 09:24:43 UTC 2013

what I installed is a small motor with a long shaft, and there's a string
(actually the reinforcement from a fiber optic cable) that wraps around
the shaft and goes to the indoor lever on the gate latch.

So when the motor shaft turns, it wraps string around its shaft and pulls
the string, which tilts the lever over as if a fleshbag is trying to open
the door from the inside with their meat thumbs.

unfortunately the motor i chose is not powerful enough with 24v, so we
need to either give it 36v and see that it is good, or do something else
like replace the motor.

we could also try using the green plastic gear that the motor is geared
to, which would give it more leverage.  But someone would have to glue a
disc onto the side of the gear to turn it into a pulley, and attach the
string to it so it could get wound up onto it.

come on hackers, hack already!  jeez.