[Rack] mediawiki syntax

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon Oct 21 21:53:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 02:35:07PM -0700, johnyradio wrote:
> On 10/21/2013 2:23 PM, Leif Ryge wrote:
> >Personally, I find it irritating when websites take it upon themselves to open
> >new windows. (Has anyone ever been glad when that happened?)
>
> i prefer it, because i usually am reading one page, and clicking

You're conflating two distinct questions:

1. what is your desired behavior when using a webpage?

2. what behavior are you dictating for others who are reading a webpage?

The question is, who is in control -- the author or the reader?

I frequently use "open in new tab" as a web reader.  As a reader, I also
hate it when authors force it on me when I didn't ask.

I would never consider forcing "open in new tab" as an author.  If the
user wants to open in a new tab, they will do so.

> links to open in other tabs, which i keep read the source page, and
> then one-by-one read the linked pages.
>
> personal preference is a thing.

Yep, preferences expressed by the reader are important.  That's why
authors should never force the reader to open in a new tab/window.

-andy