[Rack] Current network setup? Network wiki page?

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Aug 11 22:20:24 UTC 2014

Not sure if I'll be around. The current network is in a working state,
so I suggest we meed up when Casey returns from his Minnesotan sabbatical.

Changes to network proposal:

* The priority is internet -> wifi, not the ethernet network.
* Split the network into two physical zones, Crucial and Voluntary.
* Crucial involves everything to get internet from our uplinks to the
wifi access points plus minotaur, and get locked into a shelf high up in
the networking closet with a combo lock on it.
* Simplify Crucial to the least number of moving parts to make it as
reliable as possible.
* Setup minotaur to do actual monitoring and have it be able to spit out
some non-technical-human-readable health status dashboard on a display.
* Voluntary is a single ethernet line coming down from Crucial.
* Keep Voluntary as simple as possible, no managed switches, no space to
put a server, none of that.
* Mount a large non-managed switch (and the patch panel) to the wall
under the shelf. Remove and re-purpose Susan.
* If people want to randomly plug things into the switch, it's not
managed, we don't care.
* Not providing any place to have servers get installed. People will
still dump shit there and plug in, but if the space isn't there they
wont last as long. Especially if all the power outlets are inside the
locked shelf.

I think we should work towards figuring out a means for others to be
able to setup server like machines in the space, however we currently
(and never really before) had any good ways of facilitating that and
also having good lines of communication back to those who did. We could
setup another "lockable" shelf under the Crucial one, with its own shelf
and its own combo lock (and own code) to allow people to use once
they've popped onto Rack with a request to setup a system. And also make
that shelf small so that only low power embedded machines can get installed.

Thoughts?

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net