[Rack] Ethernet is down

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Sun Aug 31 04:03:59 UTC 2014

On Saturday, August 30, 2014 10:54:58 AM Rubin Abdi wrote:
> kjs wrote on 2014-08-30 10:44:
> > On Wednesday, I noticed the ethernet network was handing out ip
> > addresses, but not dhcp leases. I added 8.8.8.8 to /etc/resolv.conf and
> > tried to get a lease with

> > Alls well. Is this the desired behavior of the network?
>
> I have no idea, and I'm currently for the most part immobile and wont be
> able to make it into the space today. I believe Casey is a bit tied up
> right now too, which is unfortunate.
>
> We really need a Rack meetup to get multiple folks on the same page on
> how the network should work so there are more hands available to fix it
> if something goes wrong.

+1, though I'm honestly not a networking person. I'd maybe show up to help
document things but couldn't give good input.

> Also if anyone makes any network changes, please email the rack list and
> let folks know what's up when you do.
>
> > It sounds like this was not the case yesterday. Did the power go out,
> > bringing a modem or switch down?
>
> My guess (and I think Casey's too) is the switch simply croaked.
>
> At this point is the wifi still working and pushing bits from the
> internet? If so, great! If not I'll try to make it out tomorrow if I'm
> feeling up for it.

It is, though when I got here earlier this evening it was dead. To fix it, I:

1. Unplugged all the POE lines
2. Wired together the lan ports on the two POE injectors
3. Plugged the monkeybrains line into a POE port
4. Plugged the noisebridge wifi line into the other POE port

As it stands, the current setup is: Monkeybrains -> POE Injector -> POE
Injector -> Noisebridge wifi. Ugly, but at least I've got wifi that can send
mail to rack at .

Bikeshed has been doing nothing at all and was last seen with an error light,
so I've got it on a workbench to try and coax some serial data out of it and
see why it isn't working. I also can't access minotaur, so I'm kinda grasping
around in the dark.

Should Bikeshed have some CF card to boot off of? Its socket is empty :(

Related: I hear that we might be getting a new switch sometime soon? Would it
have POE so that we wouldn't have two loose POE injectors just sitting there,
waiting to be messed with? I'm in favor of buying a standalone rackmount POE
injector as well if a non-POE switch has already been acquired.