[Rack] Future changes to wifi

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Sat Dec 13 08:22:08 UTC 2014

I want to make another change to our SSID setup. Currently we have...

SSID: Noisebridge
Radio: 2.4 and 5 gHz

SSID: Noisebridge 5g
Radio: 5 gHz only

I want to change this to...

SSID: Noisebridge
Radio: 5 gHz only

SSID: Noisebridge Legacy
Radio: 2.4 gHz only

Why? I've come to the realization that for where we are in the Mission
and with all the radio interference, 5 gHz is preferred, 2.4 gHz will
only bring heartache. Also computers (mostly Apple hardware) and users
(mostly everybody) are really bad at making the right choice in
networks. "Noisebridge" looks less weird than "Noisebridge 5g". Most
people still connect to the mixed radio network, and most of the times
their laptop picks 2.4 gHz over 5 gHz.

With this change in names, the default network people will pick is the
better one and the one that isn't preferred very politely says "this is
for old things." And if someone can't see the normal network, they'll
see the Legacy network and connect to that instead.

Unless I hear strong objections, I would like to make this change at the
end of next week. Thanks.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net