[Rack] West AP down?

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Dec 30 13:51:05 UTC 2014

I got a notification about 14 hours ago from the Unifi controller that
the "West AP" went offline, this is the one near the entrance in the
Hackitorium. As of now it's still down. It seems to be a power issue,
not network link, as the other AP in the space is online and does not
see West AP broadcasting for help.

These are the possible probable causes for this:

* The AP has been disconnected at the point where the cable plugs into
its butt on the ceiling
* The ethernet cable going between it and the rack has become
cut/severed somehow
* The AP has gotten into a weird state and requires a hard power cycle

And the improbable ones:

* The ethernet connecting to the POE injector has been unplugged
* The POE injector has been unplugged from the power strip inside the rack
* The AP has physically died
* The POE injector has physically died

I think running off just the 1 AP will be fine until I can get back to
take a closer look at the situation, but it does mean that signal
strength in the Hackitorium is  going to slightly suck till then. Also
the Chromecast for that area will be offline as it's tied to that AP.

Is there anyone going to the space that can take a look and see if the
thing even has any lights on?

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net