[Rack] wiki under siege

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Feb 6 19:47:54 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 08:26:41AM -0800, Nick Owens wrote:
> someone is pissed off and causing havoc on the wiki. it would appear i'm
> an administrator but i don't have time to sit around babysitting and
> reverting edits, doing rollbacks, deleting offensive images, etc so on
> and so forth. can someone who has more power than 'administrator' block
> edits for unregistered and new users?

I'd rather not; we get a lot of valuable input from anonymous editors
and newly created users.  If we have to approve new users, we'll fail to
do that pretty quickly.  A in-club-only wiki is a dead wiki.

I might be willing to do a fully automated email confirmation, so that
we could at least reduce the problem to "the attacker burns a gmail
account per spamban".

Whoever's doing this is clearly putting a bunch of effort in to getting
their point across; perhaps someone should talk to them?  (Preferably
not on my user talk page.)

> also, we ought to change the login form field names to prevent bots.
> there's been quite a lot for some time now.

Yeah, that would be a good idea.  Most of the spambots appear to be
trying to create an account and then do a spammy edit, which is foiled
by our edit form changes IIRC, but it would be nice to reduce the spammy
account creation too.

Leif, I think you were the one who made that happen?

-andy