[Rack] [Noisebridge-discuss] Wiki Trolling continues

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Mon May 19 16:48:01 UTC 2014

So, to be even more specific, trying to elucidate why admins make
certain choices:

I actually did Delete a couple of pages -- namely Talk pages that
hadn't had any former history on them.

Important Wiki Fact: individual edits can't really be "deleted" unless
you delete the whole page and start over.  OR you have VM access and
can go into the wiki database and tweeze out the offending edits.

Both of the above operations are quite a bit more time-expensive than
a "rollback" action.  It took me roughly 30 minutes to deal with the
"Johnnyradio" troll, doing all of the reverts and Deleting a couple of
Talk pages.

Even beyond the time it takes to save the original content of a page,
Delete that page, and then start over, there's the loss of History,
which some may contend (and I would agree) contains at least 50% of
value of the Page.

Most trolling isn't actually all that horrible to have in the History,
so 99% of the time, the admins are perfectly justified in hitting
"revert" rather than spending all of the extra time to fully Delete a
page to excise the edits.

You may well disagree, Johny -- and I am violating my own self-ban on
interacting with you in email to say this stuff, because I think it's
important -- so if you're going to reply, please remember that you and
I have very similar values and really only differ on implementation
details.  I don't want to get into another pointless spat over words
here.

--Naomi

--
Naomi Theora Most