[Rack] Ideas for the network rebuild

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Sep 1 05:28:09 UTC 2014

http://0.starset.net/screenies/20140831222038-Selection.png

This is a really ugly diagram and doesn't give too much detail, but it's
the easiest way to convey what I'm thinking.

I don't believe Noisebridge is mature enough to have managed switches,
it's just too much of a headache to deal with and someone will
inevitably plug something into the wrong port.

The idea behind this design is simply designating ports off of the
edgerouter for each zone and arbitrarily assigning them a VLAN. The VLAN
idea can also be bounced down to the Unifi wifi and provide some special
"Noisebridge Infrastructure" network to also get on there wirelessly.
Minotaur and Pony are both running Debian and can get onto special VLANs
on their own (and they'll need to to grab a public IP address).

If we don't have any devices that we consider as infrastructure, which
are wired and don't run linux (i.e. devices that cannot be configured to
touch a VLAN), we can honestly get away with just one large stupid
unmanaged switch.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net