[Rack] Ideas for the network rebuild

Ben Kochie ben at nerp.net
Mon Sep 1 08:20:42 UTC 2014

There are pluses and minuses to doing everything on the router.  The one
downside is for the wifi and other stuff we'll have to setup a big bridge
and use the router as a switch.  This is less good because all packets
have to go through the router's CPU.  It's fairly reliable, but I would
suggest getting the 8-port EdgeRouter Pro with the larger CPU (1ghz vs
500mhz dual-core MIPS)

The big thing you're missing here again, is the fact that one of the most
common problems on the NB network is DHCP server spoofing.  WPA on wifi
and managed switch level filtering easily solves this with minimal
complexity issues.  We can also enable spanning-tree to avoid edge network
loops.

-ben