[Rack] Ideas for the network rebuild

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Sep 2 01:22:10 UTC 2014

So Casey and I have cleaned up the rack quite a bit.

We've taken the current switch that was making horribly dying noises and
replaced the fan. It currently setup to be a completely stupid dumb
unmanaged switch. Every port should give you internet.

Bikeshed has been pulled out (for a lot of good reasons) and is current
sitting on the shelf in the closet. We've setup a 3 interface Ubiquiti
EdgeRouter Lite, which I've named Biketrailer.

eth0 - Sonic
eth1 - Monkeybrains
eth2 - Inside public network

If/when we plug in Sonic the device is setup with load balancing and
fail over. Casey right now is dicking around with restoring the QoS
settings from bikeshet

The new IP scheme is currently 10.20.0.0 at a subnet of 255.255.254.0
(note the 254), with a DHCP range running from 10.20.0.101 to
10.20.1.254. The reasoning behind this is 172.30.0.0 isn't actually ours
to use and I've been meaning to correct this since the 83c days.

Minotaur has been readdressed to 10.20.0.4 and is currently talking with
all the APs, the APs now have a DHCP mapped address of .11 and .12.

Naomi: 10.20.0.3 would be fine for Pony if you want to take that. Just
make sure the subnet is correct.

At some point in the future I'm going to pick up an 8 port beefier
version of this router but what's currently in there is fine for our
current uses, maybe in the next month. Once we've switched routers and
copied over the config, then we'll start work on having a slightly more
segregated network as per that network diagram...

Infrastructure (like Minotaur, Pony, touch panels) - 10.20.0.0/23
Public Wired - 10.10.0.0/23
Public Wifi - 10.30.0.0/23

The internet is unfucked and the bits are flowing!

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net