[Rack] Ideas for the network rebuild

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Sep 2 23:02:27 UTC 2014

Jordan Hayes wrote on 2014-09-02 15:42:
> Rubin writes:
>
>> I would appreciate folks stop arguing over the internet about
>> people actively making the physical space function better.
>
> Well, you broke my project because you changed something that was working.
>
> And you changed it because you didn't understand it, and when you didn't
> understand it you didn't ask the one place where you would have gotten a
> nearly instant answer: the rack list.
>
> How should I feel about that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> /jordan

CCing the list back into this discussion.

Please don't get confrontational with me off list, it's unattractive. I
recognize that you're upset, however I am having a hard time feeling
compassionate about it through your current dialog in your emails and
the situation itself. By your logic that you've stated above, if an ISP
announces that it's changed your public IP address on you (which
happens), you're going to act and treat the ISP the same way you're
treating me now and request that they change it back because otherwise
none of your projects will work?

Your project is your own responsibility. If this box which you've left
at a public hacker space is truly in your control, than it's going to be
trivial for you to swap out the address on that machine. Accusing me of
breaking your project isn't going to get you much co-operation or
brownie points from me.

There are four devices listed on this edited list now that most likely
aren't reconfigured for the new subnet...

* .3 - pony
* .52 - bunny (Bullion Mode-S receiver on the roof)
* .53 - ronin (white Atom works with bunny, lives in Susan the Rack)
* .54 - st01-noisebridge-sfo (sfwireless.org Ubiquiti Nanobridge M5 on
the roof. Currently aimed at Twin Peaks.)

Pony still exists and is sitting in the rack. It's going to require
intervention by Naomi as I'm not sure if she's handed out access to it.

bunny and ronin, again can you verify this hardware still exists in the
space? When Casey and I started work yesterday the only hardware sitting
in the rack was the patch panel, 24 port switch, bikeshed (unplugged),
POE injectors for Monkeybrains and the APs, Minotaur, Pony, and the UPC.
There was no other networking hardware in the closet not sitting in the
rack that was powered on or plugged into any ethernet interface on the
switch.

st01, I have no idea who runs this or if it still physically exists.

I am guessing Casey made that edited trimming the list down. I can for
certainty confirm that these machines simply don't exist in their listed
incarnation or haven't been plugged in in a long time, goat,
treechopper, stallion, ChaosVPN, Primary Switch, Cisco IP phone, Red
Payphone.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net