[Redshirts] Tuesday round-up

Dana dsniezko at sonic.net
Wed Jul 31 08:35:25 UTC 2013

Tonight was a busy one and one of the largest NB meetings I've seen in a
long time.

Dan Cote was around and shared Red Shirt duties, so thanks Dan!

[Exploding Battery]

A hacker who will remain nameless was charging some NiCds unattended via
a bench supply, one of them exploded. No one was injured, and a valuable
lesson was learned.

[Alex and Bentley]

After an inconclusive verdict at the meeting, the dog (Bentley) was
asked to leave because people felt uncomfortable. Numerous NBers talked
with Alex who put up some resistance but eventually left with her.

[Door Bell]

Jake and I and others cobbled together a doorbell replacement. It
includes lights and sound, we can customize audio tones and how the
lights reacts. If someone is frantically pressing the buzzer it will
only make a sound every 10 seconds or so, but it will speed up the
lights in a nod to their urgency.

At the end of the night a few people were socializing, hacking and
surfing the net.