[Redshirts] Sunday night 10/27

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 22:13:31 UTC 2013

Sunday night 10/27

Lately, seems i keep seeing various people at nb who i thought were
kicked out long ago.

Last night, sunday, I was not docent, but i organized a hack n jam.
About 15 people came to attend the Noise Jam.

When i left, Vaughn was docent. I don't know vaughn, but have seen him
at Noisebridge for a few months. As far as i know, he's not a member,
and I'm not aware that he hacks, teaches, makes, builds, takes classes,
or has anything to do with hacking. If i'm wrong, i'm happy to be
corrected. Apparently, he's a docent.

A non-hacking kid who's name is (i think) Zak or Zeb or Zed or Zeke, who
i thought was kicked out of NB many months ago, is now in the space
almost every time i come to nb. When i left last night, he approached me
on the street, carrying a sleeping bag and such accoutrements. He asked
me to hold the gate open for him, because his "stuff was upstairs." I
did not hold the gate for him, but somebody (presumably Vaughn) buzzed
him in. I have no idea what happened after that.

This type of nonsense is just an example of how noisebridge continues to
be a place of refuge and a crash-pad and club-house for slackers and
fakers-- often a larger presence in the space than actual hackers and
makers. Some nb Members continue to adamantly resist any change to
policies or procedures that would address this problem. For example, at
last week's Tuesday meeting, a member (maybe Rhody) defended non-hackers
(Pigeon) cooking their meals at nb, by quoting Mitch saying "if you
transform something and share it, that's hacking."

If rebase gets revived, i suggest that it should focus on "Defining
Hacking", not how to arrange furniture.

Personally, i'm just going to keep using nb for actual hacking
activities. But i won't try anymore to change anything at nb, until the
community gets the nerve to confront Members who continue to protect
fakers and slackers.

Regards,

Johny Radio

Stick It In Your Ear!